The Ten Best Designed Movies
What are the best designed movies of all time? I'm not talking about the movie with the best titles or one that has an accurate portrayal of a designer. (does that even exist?) Not even a movie that has a representation of the infamous Peter Seville (24 Hour Party People). My criteria for these movies was simple ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½ the best use of design as an integrated part of the movie itself. I didn't include any animated movies, just so I could narrow the selection. Here are the top ten best designed movies of all time. . . in my opinion.
10. What Dreams May Come ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½ The imagination and artistry that were poured into the visuals are unequaled.
9. The Matrix ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½ This movie set a new standard for the integration of technology, technique and concept. The three cannot be separated.
8. Amelie ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½ The use of local color and consistently enchanting visuals make it a beautiful masterpiece.
7. Frida ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½ This movie merged color, art and imagination into what was obviously a labor of love.
6. Modern Times ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½ Charlie Chaplin truly understood design with his use of graphic imagery and fantastic sets.
5. American Beauty ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½ The mundane and average can be beautiful if you only look at things from a different perspective. This is one of the many great things conveyed through this movie.
4. Moulin Rouge ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½ Baz did it again with the beautiful use of color, music, ornamentation, symbolism and typography.
3. Pyscho ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½ Saul Bass directed the shower scene ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½ 'nough said.
2. Schindler's List ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½ The single use of color made this all the more powerful.
1. The Wizard of Oz ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½ The use of new technology (i.e. color) was used not just as a new technique, but something that supported the overall theme of the movie.
The list was hard to narrow down, but I had to start somewhere. What movie(s) do you think belonged on the list?