A bit overshadowed by the release of iPod nano, iTunes 5 was also released last week. Although you can’t exactly call it a redesign, there were some design changes to the interface. As has come to be expected from the Apple faithful, let’s dissect the changes…
Here is a screenshot of iTunes 4. This is taken from my PC which I haven’t upgraded yet:
Here is a screenshot from iTunes 5 from my Mac:
Let me be the first to point out the obvious:
1. The brushed metal is gone. Some people get very vocal about the brushed metal, but I don’t mind it that much.
2. The volume has been moved from under the play button to the right of the play button. Change for the sake of change?
3. Light blue behind the source section. La de da…
4. No more gray margin around the different compartments. I want them back.
5. Gray replaces the light blue behind the track info. Big risk.
6. Circle “Now Playing” box is now square. Settle down.
7. Font change? Help me out here. On the PC, the font seems to be more bitmapped. See below…
The top two lines are from iTunes 5. Is this an improvement to iTunes font renering, or just further proof that my PC sucks? I am wishing I took a screenshot of iTunes 4 on my Mac before I upgraded. Doh!
Very minor changes indeed. So which one do you think is better?